Saturday, February 18, 2012

Nothing to Wear!

When Caleb and I got married I weighed 113 lbs and wore a Small in everything. Between having 5 children, going on deputation, and other life experiences, I've been all the way up to a size 16 and everywhere in between.

I've been trying to get healthy again. Not so I can be super-model thin, or even be thin, but just so that I can be healthy and feel good. I also have 2 storage tubs of size 6-8 clothes that I would really like to be able to wear!

But back on topic, I have been counting calories and exercising for about 4 weeks and although I've only lost 1 lb, I've lost several inches in various places. Yay me! But because of this my clothes that I currently have do not fit me anymore, but the clothes I do own that might fit me, are 13 hours away in a storage unit.

So until then, I've been trying to find cute, inexpensive clothes that fit me. This wouldn't be so hard, except I would also like them to be modest. Now I'm not a tent-wearing, don't show my ankles or elbows, nothing below the collarbone kind of person. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I'm not that strict. I just want clothes that will cover my shoulders (it is Winter, btw), go over my knees -especially while standing-, and allow me to bend over slightly without showing my stuff. I didn't think it would be so hard to find clothes that fit those standards, especially in Winter. But alas, it is proving to be difficult. And even cami's don't help, if your chest is larger than a 12 year old's. They are barely made to cover your undergarments, much less your chest.

Today I found three very cute dresses, in my size, for under $7. I was thrilled! Until I went into the dressing room. One was so tight in the chest, I could barely get it on. The next was so short, it wasn't even worth opening the dressing room door to show my husband. The third was suitable, but still pushing the "too short" category. And those were the 3 dresses out of about 40 different styles that I thought might be acceptable!

What is it with clothes being so short/low/skimpy? I know, we're living in a world where less is better, and showing more is cool and even accepted in a lot of churches. But doesn't anyone want to cover themselves? It's so discouraging to not be able to find anything even remotely modest. And if you do find something modest it's boxy and, well, made for Grandmas. I'm not quite there yet. Maybe in a few years it will be cool to cover yourself and we can find clothes at stores again. Until then, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with the few choices I do find.

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever tried Catos? They tend to have alot of skirts and tops that are modest, but stylish. also, they are always putting things on sale so you should be able to find something within your budget. Oh, and they have girls clothes too! Not sure if they are only in the South though. BTW, I found you on Baptist Missionary Women Facebook Group. I'm a missionary in Tanzania, East Africa.

    ReplyDelete