Sunday, October 30, 2011

From my fingers to my soul

I wish I could describe what it feels like to play the piano. I'm not an exceptional pianist. If I practice a lot, I'm pretty good. But I'm not good at reading notes, making up accompaniment, or playing a song perfectly. Ever. But I do love to play! Sometimes when I play it's like it's not even me. Sometimes I'll play an entire song and then wake up from the deep place I was in. Sometimes I like to play to clear my head, sometimes it's out of necessity, and sometimes it's just because I really want to. God created music so we could worship Him and I love playing songs that speak of Him, and the cross, and the blood.
I took lessons as a child and I hated it, but my mom made me keep taking lessons. Once I was done with lessons and I was able to play what I wanted and not what my lesson was, I started to love it. My favorites were classicals; Moonlight Sonata, Fur Elise, Claire de Lune, and sometimes Ragtime. But nothing lifts my soul and speaks to my spirit like gospel music that speak of God's love and sacrifice for me.
One of the hardest things for people to understand is that playing the piano is difficult for 90% of the people who play. It takes a lot of practice, a lot of practice, and a lot of practice. There are so many people that was a quick lesson so they can play beautiful songs. It takes probably 5 years of lessons before the average person can start playing really nice songs, and most people don't want to wait that long.
If you are taking lessons or want to, or if your child is taking piano lessons, don't give up! Keep at it, keep going, even if the songs you play are so mundane and boring you put yourself to sleep while practicing. My mom never let me quit lessons because she knew how important it is to know how to play. And every day, every time I play the piano, I thank her in my mind for making me continue, even when I would cry while practicing because I hated it.
Thank you Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment