Friday, September 27, 2013

#12 on 30 List- Complete a course online

Once again, the Lord has taken a wish and gone above and beyond what I could have dreamed or imagined! When I wrote this post I put "Take an online class" and inside I was thinking, "I can already cross that one off as never gonna happen." And I was right! But I was also very mistaken.

It has been a dream of mine to be a counselor since I was about 15. I read some book about a girl that was acting out, so she was put on behavioral meds, but the meds made her act out more, and instead of finding out what was wrong, they put her in a mental home. A worker there realized that it was the meds that was making this girl act the way she was and through therapy and, of course, convincing the doctors to take her off these meds, they found out the true source of her problem and they were able to place her in a different home. I don't remember what the book was called. Actually, I think the author was "Anonymous", so I may never know!

For some reason that book inspired me and I made it my life's dream to be a child psychologist and help children all over the world! Some of my friends even called me Dr. Laura. Anyway, that obviously never happened. But as an adult I still have a desire to be a counselor and help people that are hurting and have problems. I have been wanting to take classes at Beth Haven Baptist Institute for years but it never worked out.

Well, since we moved back to Oklahoma, I am currently in my second semester of taking classes there, working toward my counseling degree. I may never finish. It would take a really long time, considering I can only take about two classes per semester. But I was able to take the Women Counseling Women II class and I loved every minute of it. I'm grateful for the opportunity the Lord has provided for me to be able to take these classes! And for showing me, once again, what a powerful and loving God He is.

No comments:

Post a Comment